James English, born in Naul Co. Dublin in 1946,now lives in Loughshinny Co. Dublin where he has his Studio/ Gallery. After a period in horse racing, he studied painting under David Hone RHA and Charles Cullen as a part time student in N.C.A.D.
English first exhibited his work in 1974 in the Tattan Gallery in Malahide Co Dublin. This was followed up with three more exhibitions in the Tattan before staging a one person Exhibition in Gallery 22 Dublin. He then went on to have successful exhibitions in Kilcock Art Gallery, Co. Kildare, Gormley's Fine Art Dublin and Belfast, the Lavit Gallery in Cork and also in Europa in Brussels.
In 2003 English was elected an Associate Member of the Royal Hibernian Academy and subsequently in 2005 was elected a full member. He is also a member of the Board of Governors and Guardians of the National Gallery of Ireland.
English’s work can be found in the collections of H.E. President Mary Robinson, Ailled Irish Bank, Canadian Embassy, Jefferson Smurfit Group, Irish Management Institute, Smithwicks, Tara Mines, Goffs Bloodstock Sales, Concept Gallery Pittsburg USA and the Royal Hibernian Academy, to name but a few.